Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Daily Insights from the Bible - Exodus 28

Well, it's been a while since I blogged, but I suppose the coronavirus quarantine is a good time to get back into it, especially if I can use this means to spread a little light, instead of the darkness I am feeling right now.

So, I may write some other things going forward, but I want to commit to a short, daily post that comes from my own daily Bible reading, just an insight I received as I read this morning. For anyone who might be wondering, I am using a Bible reading plan this year called the M'Cheyne One Year Reading Plan (you can read about it here).

For this first post, I am going to go back a couple days to when I first had this idea. In the future, I'll be working from the day-of, so to speak. I truly hope this blesses someone.

Exodus 28

This chapter is about the making of the priestly garments worn by the high priest, Aaron, and his successors. There is a ton of symbolism here that points to Christ, which is good, but the thing I was drawn to is just 2 verses:

And you shall make holy garments for Aaron your brother, for glory and for beauty. You shall speak to all the skillful, whom I have filled with a spirit of skill, that they make Aaron's garments to consecrate him for my priesthood.

Perhaps it is because I am married to one of the "skillful" and serve a church that has many of the "skillful" that I am struck by this statement from God. I am NOT one of the skillful, not in the ways of working with my hands or in terms of artistic beauty. I'm OK with the big stuff, but am terrible with finish or detail work. I recall once doing a tessellation project in geometry class in 9th grade. We were to produce something like the following picture over a poster board, by hand.


Image result for tessellation


My poster board was supposed to look exactly like that, but I got off somewhere in the middle. It looked like it melted. My teacher was quite disappointed in me, and I didn't get a great grade, at all. I tell you this story so you'll believe me about me not being among the "skillful."

But many of you are. And where does this passage teach us this skill comes from? It comes from the Lord. Why did He give it? He gave it to serve Him, ultimately. So, for you "skillful" out there, serve the Lord with that skill. Make holy things for beauty and glory to point to God's beauty and glory!

3 comments:

  1. It is kind of like "whatever you do, do it to the glory of God"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know I am reading the same plan? Today I was struck with the regularity of sacrifices. That teaches us a lot about faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete